Surveillance: Debunking the Biggest Transport Security Myth
All transport hubs, whether consumer or commercial, face two significant challenges: keeping people and property safe, and ensuring that both pass from entrance to exit efficiently and economically.
A common view is that tackling one inevitably has a negative impact on the other, for example that increasing security measures in response to heightened threat levels will always lead to slower passenger or cargo processing. According to global surveillance business Synectics, it’s a myth that needs debunking.
Attending this year’s Transport Security Expo taking place at Olympia in London (2-3 December), Synectics suggests that by enhancing situational awareness with intelligently integrated surveillance, transport hub operators have the opportunity to make significant improvements in both these important areas.
Chris Bishop, International Business Development Manager at Synectics, explains: “Whether discussing sea ports, railway stations, bus terminals or busy airports - identifying and responding to potential threats boils down to one thing. Awareness.
“Transport hubs operate a vast range of security, emergency and operational systems to protect people, goods and infrastructure. But monitoring these systems separately is time consuming, can be a significant draw on resources and does not afford operators a holistic view of the site in question. Data, though abundant in volume, is often fragmented.
“This is a situation that perpetuates transport security misconceptions, as a disjointed approach can (and often does) mean that increased emphasis on safety and security impacts negatively on operational efficiency, and vice versa.
“However, adopting an open architecture, intelligently integrated surveillance command and control platform to collate that data – enabling it to be monitored, controlled and (with the help of analytics) understood, in a single unified environment – dramatically improves situational awareness. This in turn facilitates multiple benefits across an entire site, without forcing compromise in any one specific area of operation.”
Some of the benefits that Synectics will be highlighting at Transport Security Expo include:
- Real time threat detection and improved response times.
- Passenger bottleneck analysis and prevention.
- Person of interest identification and tracking.
- Improved interaction between security and passenger facing operational teams e.g. baggage claim, check-in and boarding desks.
- Personnel verification and location awareness.
- Improved workflow consistency and audit trails.
On day 2 of the show at 11:50am, Chris Bishop will also be presenting a seminar specifically for the aviation industry. Entitled “Four Success Factors and Drivers in Aviation Safety and Security”, the presentation will explore topics such as airport system integration opportunities, improved operational and security incident response based on real-time data and analytics, and future-proofing technology implementation.
In addition to discussing the practical benefits of systems integration and improved situational awareness, Synectics will be providing visitors to booth J30 with live demonstrations of relevant solutions in action. Solutions to be showcased include Synergy 3 command and control platform – specified by Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport - and COEX camera stations – recently ordered as part of a surveillance solution for 2 LNG carriers being built by a South Korean shipyard.
David Petrook, Commercial Director at Synectics, said: “Synergy 3 is ideally suited to the transport sector. It enables a wide range of sub-system integrations, and ensures that incident detection, response and reporting procedures comply with specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). For transport hubs that want to address risk mitigation and operational efficiency, features such as GIS mapping and user-driven dynamic workflows are valuable tools. To be able to showcase these features, and demonstrate deliverable results, at such an important and highly respected event is a great opportunity.”
To further support transport operators interested in understanding and adopting surveillance technologies, Synectics has produced a series of reports and white papers with topics including at-sea navigation in ice-class conditions and airport management.
- Mapping, Monitoring, and Managing Security simplified with latest release of Synergy 3
- Safety in Real Time for Nottingham Trent University Students and Staff
- Synectics to Complete Multi-site Surveillance Upgrade as Part of Private Prisons Contract
- Enhanced Video Analytics for Synergy 3 - New Facial Recognition Integration with AnyVision Launches Promising Partnership
- Integrated Airports - The Software Ready to Improve Efficiency, Passenger Experience, and Systems ROI
- Data Integrations to Help Transport Operators Make the Right Connections
- New Facial Recognition Integration for Synergy 3
- Connected Journeys - The Solutions Set to Transform Transport
- Bristol Airport Case Study - Saving Time, Money, and Keeping Passengers on the Move
- Bristol Airport Case Study - Saving time, money, and keeping passengers on the move
- Ensure Evidence Admissibility with Effective Audit Trails
- Synectics Secures Three-Year Contract Renewal with Stagecoach
- Synectics to Supply Surveillance for Fleet of New European Metro Trains
- Light Rail Contract Success for Synectics
- Centralized Command, Customized Control: Casino Cosmopol Maximizes its Multi-Site Surveillance
- Synergy 3 Delivers Multi-Site Management for Utilities Control Room
- Synectics Appoints New US Chief Operating Officer and VP of Global Gaming
- Synergy 3 Helps Category A Prison Implement a Smarter Approach to Safety
- Synectics Wins Big Ahead of World Game Protection
- Synectics Wins Big Ahead of World Game Protection
- Synectics Drives the Transition to Smart Transport Networks
- Don’t Let Misconceptions Derail CNI Systems Integration
- Synectics’ Synergy 3 interfaces with Lenel’s OnGuard® access control security system
- On-Vehicle Systems Specialist Joins Synectics Following Multi-Million-Pound Contract Wins
- Synectics Shortlisted in International Airport Review Awards 2017
- Synectics Celebrates Thirty Years of Customer-driven Solutions
- Synectics Champions Smart Transport Networks
- Oil and Gas Surveillance Specialist Wins Multiple Middle East Contracts
- Synectics Explores Surveillance Trends in Transport with Singapore’s Society of Engineers
- Surveillance Key to Unlocking Data-driven Crisis Management
- Offshore Security: Why Detecting Threats Also Means Preventing Operational Downtime
- Synectics expands Transport Team with appointment of Business Development Manager for Rail
- Synectics Secures Surveillance Contract for Major USA Floating Platform in a Series of Offshore Wins
- Synectics Wins European Contract for Train-to-Ground ‘Passenger Help’ Solution
- Making Data Meaningful: How Surveillance Can Deliver on ‘Intelligent Airport’ Ambitions
- Synectics Wins Airport Operational Command and Control Center Contract for Jakarta Airport
- Synectics Champions Connected Control at Railtex 2017
- Synectics Launches New Camera Base for Mains Powered Performance
- The Key to Smart Surveillance is Actionable Intelligence
- Synectics Synergy 3 Receives Dell EMC Partner Validation for Storage Compatibility
- Innovation that Puts Users in Control: Synectics Unveils Latest Technology at World Game Protection
- New White Paper Advises on How to Prevent Data Loss and Downtime for Surveillance Networkss
- Synectics Shows Offshore Success with Multiple Vessel Contracts
- Synectics Releases Radar Integration Solution for Synergy 3
- Synectics Partners Global Bus Builder on Electric Fleet Contracts
- Synectics Launches New Suite of HD IP Camera Solutions
- Reaction and Resiliency Inspire Synergy 3 Latest Release
- Synectics to Preview New Synergy Release at Counter Terror
- Tailored Technology and Training: Synectics Stresses Importance of User Experience at World Game Protection
- International Airline Selects Synergy 3 for Infrastructure Security
- Synectics to Protect Major Italian Onshore Project
- Surveillance Steps up to Support Infrastructure Boom
- London Boroughs Select Synergy 3 for Surveillance Upgrade
- Airport White Paper on Surveillance Best Practice Trends
- Synergy 3 to Protect Major UAE Onshore Development
- Synectics Solutions on Show at Global MSC
- Asian Offshore Vessels Select Synectics for Surveillance
- Marine Surveillance White Paper Released to Support Northern Route Operators
- Why Surveillance Deserves its Spotlight at G2E
- Synectics Solutions Achieve Top Grade Under BS EN 62676-4
- Synectics Opens Macau Office To Support Gaming Clients
- Synectics to Showcase Surveillance Solutions at Offshore Europe
- Integrated Voice Calling Gives Synergy Users Comms Control
- Synectics Appoints New Commercial Director
- Salford City Council Selects Synectics for Surveillance Upgrade
- Synectics Marks Decade of Canadian Gaming Surveillance with Summit Showcase
- Synergy 3 Achieves ONVIF Compliance for IP Interoperability
- Integrated Surveillance Will Reduce Risk at Sea
- Synectics Celebrates Security Innovation Milestone
- Synectics to Demonstrate Latest Technology at Counter Terror 2015
- Synergy 3 Command and Control Platform Chosen for Jakarta International Airport
- Vemotion integration with Synergy good news for public space
- Synergy 3 boost for Synectics’ gaming business
- Synectics launches high temperature HD IP COEX camera stations
- Surveillance Integration - Why People Matter
- Synectics adds Axis Door Controller to Synergy 3 Integrations
- ‘Integration, IP and innovation’ dominate Middle East surveillance trends
- New Synergy products for mobile and remote-site surveillance
- Synectics adds Penn premiers to growing North American gaming portfolio
- British Antarctic Survey blends science and surveillance at sea
- CSAus certification for COEX camera stations
- Surveillance integration can achieve ‘Connected Ship’ ambition for marine industry
- Synectics invests in Singapore regional headquarters
- Synectics demonstrates progressive growth with new Operations Centre
- Synectics launches new COEX TriMode camera range
- Asia Pacific gaming market to capitalize on global surveillance expertise
- Synectics adds Lenel OnGuard to Synergy integrations
- Synergy 3 command and control platform rolled out