Companies who utilize a cloud-based access control system save time and operational costs, and also increase their level of security, while more mobility and flexibility is afforded for employees.
Companies who utilize a cloud-based
access control system save time and operational costs, and also increase their level of security, while more mobility and flexibility is afforded for employees.
Read more in our Cloud and Hybrid Video Surveillance Guide (Updated 2021)
A smart lock
, as its name suggests, offers an unlocking system via the cloud and therefore lets users unlock the door from a smartphone, or a virtual key, and access can be controlled remotely by another person. It permits management or premises owners to have more control over who comes and goes. For homeowners, the technology provides safety, convenience, connectivity and peace of mind. Smart lock adoption has been rising in the smart home market, by providing all of the benefits above.
Not only have smart locks found a leading position in the smart home
, it’s also more widely adopted in the business field. “Smart locks have evolved to become part of the large access control domain for businesses ...cloud-based technologies are the newest and have taken over the access control market,” said Yogendra Singh Chauhan, Research Manager, ICT, Transparency Market Research.
Benefits of cloud access control
Businesses nowadays are running more and more operations from cloud computing, such as updating payrolls, checking the company bank balance, collaborating projects and customer experience management. In this scenario, it’s compelling for companies to move access control systems to the cloud.
“The reasons for moving the door of access control
to the cloud are significant. Broadly, it increases the efficiency and security of the company which ultimately makes it more competitive,” said Chauhan. There are namely some benefits which cloud access control systems can bring to businesses.
- Flexibility: Cloud-based access control fits the needs of scaling companies, due to the ability to be used across a wide range of disparate locations and the amount of users capable of using the system, providing central management of with the control of access rights.
- Automatic Software Updates: Since the access control system is based on the cloud, the server receives automatic updates as well. This saves the time spent on maintaining different systems across locations.
- Remote Access from Anywhere: The system management personnel is able to monitor the access system, and determine whether or not it’s being accessed by unauthorized groups or individuals, by using a Cloud-based system, this can be done from anywhere, as long as a reliable internet connection is maintained.
- Security: With the capability to update access rights in real-time and synchronize floor access rights with human resource databases, cloud-based access control systems safeguards the loss of sensitive data and protects against the high risks involved in restoring data in the local server.
- Integrations: When cloud-based access control system integrates with multiple cloud-based applications, the whole integration provides seamless and automated workflows for employees.
- Tiered Admin Levels: Cloud-based access control system enables various levels of access to different personnel within the company. It enables management to split access throughout the organization without risking security and control.
- Cost Saving: Cloud-based solution can minimize the IT investment in IT equipment, servers and other IT hardware costs.
Saves costs and provides mobility
For businesses, cloud access control system helps them mostly by saving costs and increasing operational efficiency. Although the price of access control hardware has dropped to a certain level in recent years, the more efficient and professional access control systems still come at a higher cost. For small- and middle-sized businesses (SMB), considering the cost of professional access control systems, cloudbased access control solutions bring the most benefits for them. Especially for retail shops, small offices, small education f irms and other SMB businesses. As efficiency and security of the company is improved by cloud access control system, they can ultimately become more competitive. New cloud-based platforms carry monthly subscription costs, rather than large upfront hardware costs, while existing access systems may have annual license fees for software installed on-premises.
revenue model “tends to be better designed for large-scale deployment. Remote accessibility, ease of maintenance, and off-site troubleshooting coverage are among the key benefits for a potential customer looking to upgrade,” said Matthew Ng, Vice President of Product, Head of Americas at igloohome. For employees, on the other hand, they win more flexibility for being mobile and accessing irrespectively of their locations. “Cloud hosting of an access control system is a win-win for users in two ways. Firstly, the experience of cloud based access control is seamless and affordable. Secondly, it makes the management and operations of a facility much easier. With this, entire business facilities can be overseen using an internet-connected electronic device,” said Chauhan.