Developers of video or vision systems can accelerate their product development with the new VLIB software library from Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI). VLIB is an extensible library of more than 40 software kernels that are available now, royalty-free and optimized for TI's industry-leading TMS320C64x+ digital signal processor (DSP) core. These kernels execute background modeling and subtraction, object feature extraction, tracking, recognition and low-level pixel processing to provide a foundation for video analytics end applications development.
Developers utilizing VLIB can achieve improved pixel processing performance up to ten times over standard C code, which enables processing at higher resolutions and frame rates, as well as more advanced features or more channels per device. The latter benefits of additional features and channels per device will be achieved by one of TI's long-time partners in the analytics market, ObjectVideo, the leader in intelligent video. VLIB also allows for use of lower cost C64x+ DSPs and accelerates software porting from PC-based systems to the C64x+ DSP core, reducing customers' development time by up to 36 man months. VLIB benefits applications and markets such as video surveillance systems, automotive vision, machine vision and consumer electronics.
VLIB benefits TI customers and third parties
* ObjectVideo, Inc.: "ObjectVideo supports TI's initiative to make analytics a more common feature on its DSPs, and VLIB will especially enable manufacturers to get to market faster with higher channel-density devices. Having worked as TI's primary analytics partner for almost four years optimizing our software for the DSP, we understand well the challenges manufacturers face in bringing truly intelligent devices to market." - Edward Troha, Director of Global Marketing
* ZANB Technology Co., Ltd.: "Our innovative fire detection application benefits greatly from VLIB with its evident image processing performance improvement, which allows us to realize our creative algorithm framework on our current resource platform. Customers will find that the solution is very helpful in locating fires in different environments earlier to better prevent their potential spread." - Sun Lan, Product Director
* FIRS Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd.: "FIRS will utilize TI's VLIB as a solid foundation for our facial recognition and intrusion detection applications running on TI's digital media processors based on DaVinci technology, the TMS320DM6446 and TMS320DM6437, respectively. We look forward to capitalizing on the benefits offered by VLIB, including pixel processing improvement and reducing our time-to-market." - Byron Tai, Product Director
* VCA Technology, Ltd.: "An image library resource such as TI's VLIB can save a lot of time in development. It's not a substitute for having an experienced development team, but it can make their lives easier and reduce project timescales significantly." - Geoff Thiel, CEO
* Cernium: "The building blocks included in VLIB will allow us to offer a broader range of video analytics functionality to our customers. VLIB will enable analytics providers like Cernium to fully harness the computational power of the C64x+ platform while reducing time to market." - Nik Gagvani, CTO
* Agent Vi: "Requiring a minimal amount of DSP clock cycles is a key feature of the Agent Vi analytics library. By using VLIB, we can quickly - and with a minimal amount of effort - achieve optimal performance. In turn, this allows edge device manufacturers using C64x+ processors to perform higher resolution and frame rate H.264 encoding while delivering high-end, feature-rich analytics." - Zvika Ashani, CTO