Join or Sign in

Register for your free membership or if you are already a member,
sign in using your preferred method below.

To check your latest product inquiries, manage newsletter preference, update personal / company profile, or download member-exclusive reports, log in to your account now!
Login asmag.comMember Registration

Woman meets rescuers who saved her from dangerous levels of carbon monoxide

Woman meets rescuers who saved her from dangerous levels of carbon monoxide
ADT, a provider of monitored security and interactive home and business automation solutions in the United States and Canada, celebrated one of its LifeSaver events in Medford, Ore. where ADT Customer Sharon Lausmann was reunited with rescuers who helped save her from carbon monoxide.

The scary incident happened in mid-December as Lausmann was napping in her home after being sedated for a medical procedure. She was sound asleep, but awakened by a phone call from ADT’s Customer Care Center in Irving, Texas.

“The ADT dispatcher told me there was a carbon monoxide detector going off and advised that I leave my house,” said Lausmann. “So, I grabbed my pets and went outside to wait until the fire department arrived.”

When first responders from Medford Fire-Rescue pulled up a few minutes later, they used portable gas detectors to determine there were life-threatening levels of the “silent killer” coming from a malfunctioning gas oven.

“I really didn’t know much about carbon monoxide before this happened,” said Lausmann. “But now, I am telling everyone I know to become aware and get a detector.”

To celebrate the successful outcome, ADT flew Dispatcher Phyllis Clark 1,500 miles from Texas to meet Lausmann for the first time.  

“I am so glad I could help Ms. Lausmann survive what could’ve been a real tragedy,” Clark said. “In my job, I love being able to help save lives for a living.”

ADT also awarded $5,000 to Medford Fire-Rescue, which urged people to be extra diligent about carbon monoxide, especially during winter.

“Every year over 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide and thousands more are hospitalized,” said Justin Bates of Medford Fire-Rescue. “You can’t taste or smell carbon monoxide so it is important to have monitored protection to prevent more tragedies.”

Product Adopted:
Guard Service

Share to:
Comments ( 0 )