The ZigBee Alliance , a global ecosystem of companies creating wireless solutions for use in energy management, residential, commercial and consumer electronics applications, announced it has started development of ZigBee Retail Services, a new standard focusing on the retail experience from point-of-manufacture to point-of-sale. This effort is expected to utilize the wide range of ZigBee's existing profile capabilities, fully leverage the advantages of ZigBee's open global solution set, and add significant new capabilities to improve the retail supply chain. Focus on this key market area is expected to result in substantial new product and service opportunities.
ZigBee Retail Services public application profile can be used across the retail sector. The anticipated result for the retail market is a significant improvement in quality and supply chain management and efficiency, in addition to enhanced customer satisfaction. It will define applications for mobile terminals and offer plug-in modules to simplify adoption. The ZigBee Retail Services public application profile will define a standard methodology for delivering a variety of services, including:
* In-Store Information: Collection, delivery, selection, data sharing with customers, in-store and mobile payment retail applications.
* Location-Based Services: Tracking, arrival alerts and item location assistance.
* Retail at Home: Establish a wireless network in customer homes for shopping, inventory levels, order availability and a sales process engine.
* Retail Assistance Device: Support for voice capable employee and customer devices in a variety of retail environments.
* Health Care: Provide well-being, drug interactions, refill orders, refill availability, alerts and recalls.
* Supply Chain Management: Warehouse management, cold chain management and inventory management providing end-to-end production to customer delivery.
* Regulatory Compliance: In-store security and monitoring, retail regulatory compliance and freshness tracking for food, pharmaceuticals and other perishables.
* Energy Management: Sensors designed to monitor and reduce energy consumption and improve total building management.
"ZigBee Retail Services will change today's shopping experience by delivering new services for consumers and retailers alike," said Bob Heile, Chairman of the ZigBee Alliance. "ZigBee Retail Services will leverage ZigBee's many public application profiles as well as define new capabilities to create easy-to-use tools for consumers that make every day shopping easier, more interactive and enjoyable. Retailers will be able to increase quality and improve overall efficiency of operations while delivering an innovative consumer experience."
ZigBee is the global wireless language connecting dramatically different devices to work together and enhance everyday life. The ZigBee Alliance is a nonprofit association of more than 340 members driving development of ZigBee wireless technology. The Alliance promotes worldwide adoption of ZigBee as the leading wirelessly networked, sensing and control standard for use in consumer electronic, energy, home, commercial and industrial areas.